Sexual assault: A new case will bring Kevin Spacey before a London judge on Thursday

Sexual assault: A new case will bring Kevin Spacey before a London judge on Thursday

Share it

Posted

Thursday morning, justice awaits the American actor in London. This case concerns four charges of sexual assault on three men, while running a theater in the British capital.

At the time of the facts with which he is charged, Kevin Spacey was artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London.

REUTERS

After the United States, the United Kingdom: American actor Kevin Spacey will appear on Thursday in a London court. The star of the “House of Cards” series, whose career has been cut short by a series of accusations since the Weinstein affair, is being prosecuted for four sexual assaults on three men, between March 2005 and April 2013. During this period , he was artistic director of a theater in London.

“Kevin Spacey, 62, was formally charged” on Monday, the Metropolitan Police said. “He will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court at 10 a.m. (11 a.m. in Switzerland), on Thursday June 16.”

At the end of May, the British Public Prosecutor’s Office gave the green light to these prosecutions. Kevin Spacey then said he was “disappointed”, but announced his intention to appear in British justice. “I will defend myself against these charges and, I am sure, will prove my innocence,” added the actor in a statement sent to the morning show of the American channel ABC, “Good Morning America”.

In 2005, 2008 and 2013

Two charges relate to acts of sexual assault in March 2005, in London, on the same plaintiff. Another sexual assault involves a second complainant in August 2008, who also accuses him of forcing him into penetrative sexual activity without his consent.

Finally, Kevin Spacey is charged with a fourth sexual assault on a third complainant in April 2013, in Gloucestershire. London police said the complainants, whose names have not been made public, are now in their 30s and 40s.

Scotland Yard has opened an investigation after receiving complaints of sexual assaults against the actor, some of which were allegedly committed in the Lambeth district of London, where the Old Vic theater is located, of which he was artistic director between 2004 and 2015. These accusations were made in the wake of the Weinstein scandal, named after the American film producer targeted by numerous accusations of harassment and sexual assault, revealed in the fall of 2017 by the “New York Times” and the ” New Yorker”.

Career and reputation ruined

Kevin Spacey has also been the subject of investigations in the United States. He had been charged with indecent assault and sexual assault in the state of Massachusetts, but the charges were dropped in July 2019. He was accused of having, in July 2016, got his hands on the sex of 18 year old young man employed in a bar, after having made him drink.

In late May, he appeared before a New York judge for a procedural hearing in a civil suit brought by actor Anthony Rapp, according to US court documents. Anthony Rapp had accused Kevin Spacey of having made sexual advances to him when he was a teenager, which Kevin Spacey denied, and the action was dropped in criminal proceedings.

The wave of accusations against him has had serious consequences on the career and reputation of the two-time Oscar winner (for “American Beauty” and “Usual Suspects”). He was notably landed by Netflix from the series “House of Cards”, in which he played the main character, the President of the United States, Frank Underwood.

(AFP)


#Sexual #assault #case #bring #Kevin #Spacey #London #judge #Thursday


Share it